HeartCode® BLS Blended Learning Course
The American Heart Association’s HeartCode BLS Course, web-based and accessible 24 hours a day, provides
a flexible alternative to classroom training. With a focus on the components of high-quality CPR, this online
instructional program uses a variety of eLearning assets such as dramatizations, eSimulations, animations,
self-directed learning, and interactive activities to teach students BLS knowledge and skills for single-rescuer
and team basic life support.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THE COURSE?
This course is for healthcare professionals and other personnel who need to know how to perform CPR and other basic cardiovascular life support skills in a wide variety of in-facility and prehospital settings. HeartCode BLS is for healthcare professionals and others seeking an alternative delivery method for completing BLS training.
The AHA’s BLS Course has been updated to reflect new science in the 2015 American Heart Association Guidelines Update for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care (2015 AHA Guidelines for CPR and ECC). This course teaches
both single-rescuer and team basic life support skills for application in both in-facility and prehospital settings. After successfully completing the BLS Course, students should be able to:
- Describe the importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival
- Describe all of the steps of the Chain of Survival and apply the BLS concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize the signs of someone needing CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for adults, children and infants
- Describe the importance of early use of an AED and demonstrate its use
- Provide effective ventilations by using a barrier device
- Describe the importance of team dynamics in multi-rescuer resuscitation and perform as an effective team member during multi-rescuer CPR
- Describe the technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction (choking) for adults and infants
The HeartCode BLS online cognitive portion must be paired with a hands-on skills practice and testing session with an AHA BLS Instructor.
Students who successfully complete the online portion receive a certificate that allows them entrance to a skills practice and testing session. An AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers course completion card will be issued upon successful completion of both parts.
“All relevant course details will be emailed to you once booking is confirmed.”